Two companion recipes to the previous beans post! From Esther’s Kitchen, Mexican Rice & Bean Burritos:
Happy Cinco de Mayo! Our beans are cooked from Esther’s Crockpot Beans recipe that we shared yesterday. Here is an easy baked Mexican Rice that does not require any frying. This Mexican Rice is similar to the type you enjoy in Mexican restaurants. Rinsing the rice in a fine mesh colander helps to removed excess starch and lends a fluffier rice. Enjoy!
Cuisine: Esther Approved, GF…
Prep including Cook Time: 1 hr 10 minutes
1 jalapeño, seeded for less heat if desired
1 large tomato, chopped
1/2 large onion, chopped
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 Tablespoons tomato paste
1/2 cup fresh cilantro
1/4 cup oil (vegetable or olive)
1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1/2 teaspoon fresh black pepper, or to taste
2 cups vegetable broth
2 cups long grain rice (white or brown), rinsed
1 large carrot sliced lengthwise then diced
1/2 cup frozen corn
1/2 cup fresh or frozen green beans, sliced in 1/2″ pieces
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish. Set aside.
2. In a blender or food processor combine the jalapeño through the S&P ingredients. Purée until smooth.
3. Pour the 2 cups vegetable broth in the baking dish. Add the rice and puréed veggies. Stir in the corn, carrots and green beans.
4. Cover the dish tightly with aluminum foil and bake for 45-60 minutes or until the rice is cooked and most of the liquid has been absorbed by the rice.
5. Serve with additional fresh cilantro, salt and pepper to taste.
For our next Cinco de Mayo recipe we have Bean Burritos with Green Tomatillo Sauce. We used the beans from Esther’s Crockpot Bean recipe. You may also use canned vegetarian refried beans. Note: 1 (15 oz) can will yield about 1-1/2 cups of beans. This recipe comes together quickly with store bought green chile or tomatillo salsa. Enjoy!
Bean Burritos with Green Tomatillo Sauce
Cuisine: Esther Approved …
Prep including Bake Time: 1 hr
Serves: 8 burritos
2 cups jarred Green Chile Salsa, store bought
8 (8″) plain or spinach flour tortillas
6 cups cooked pinto beans per burrito
1 cup Daiya mozzarella style shreds
Cilantro for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 8×8 or 8.5×12 baking dish.
2. Pour 1 cup of the green chile salsa on the bottom of the baking dish.
3. Add 3/4 cup refried beans into each tortilla and fold into a burrito.
4. Place the burritos in the baking dish. Pour 1 cup green chile salsa over the burritos.
5. Sprinkle the Daiya shreds on top of the burritos. Bake uncovered for 35-45 minutes. The burritos will puff up.
6. Serve with fresh cilantro.
Thanks for reading!
Check out these other Esther Related Facebook Pages: